ISAS Staff Restores the Collins Mound Complex in East-Central Illinois
ISAS has initiated a volunteer project involving the archaeological collections from the Collins site, an eleventh century village and mound complex in Vermilion County, Illinois with Cahokia connections.
Over the last few years, Douglas Jackson has been spearheading volunteer work at the Collins site mound and village complex at Kennekuk County Park in Vermilion County northwest of Danville. This prehistoric site complex, situated along the Middle Fork, dates to approximately AD 1000–1100. Extensive excavations were conducted here in the 1970s by University of Illinois archaeologists, and over 70 boxes of material and samples from these site excavations are curated in the ISAS collections. Volunteers from the East Central Illinois Archaeology Society and the local Master Naturalist organization, under the direction of Jackson, will be rehousing the collections to bring them up to modern curational standards. During this process the volunteers will be able to examine and learn about the various artifacts from this site. This effort, with one to two work sessions per month, is expected to continue into 2013.
Recent efforts at the Collins site, have also included surveying the park for additional mounds (two were found), but the main focus has been on removing brushy invasive species from the site and to restore the site trail to provide access for park visitors. Work is conducted under the guidance of the Vermilion County Conservation District and volunteers have included ISAS staff, members of the East Central Illinois Archaeological Society, Master Naturalists, and other environmentally minded individuals.
Anyone interested in this project can contact
Doug Jackson at email@example.com for more information.
[posted September 4, 2012]